Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sweet Potatoes! It's a miracle...

Today, I had a jar of sweet potatoes from the pantry. I gave Emberly a cracker to hold so I could pull th sneaky pea act on her with this other pureed food. I dipped the spoon and brought it by her mouth...and it opened. It looked so foreign like that, lips hanging apart, eyes on the spoon. I forgot that was how it is with so many other babies. I put the sweet potatoes in...and she swallowed them. Didn't spit any out or smear them on the high chair or all over herself. Then it happened again and again, spoonful after spoonful. I was beside myself by the time we were done because she had eaten the entire jar. It was one of those half-sized baby jars, probably not even four tablespoons, but still, it was a first for us to finish a container of food in one sitting. Usually after about ten spoonfuls of grunting and back arching I put it away.
I pulled some pureed pears from the fridge and got the expected response, clamped lips, angry grunts, smeared and spit out food. But hey. A whole jar of sweet potatoes. I felt like doing a jig.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Yeah! Who would have known that sweet potatoes would have been a favorite?

Debi said...

Better hurry up and buy another jar and give them to her again before she forgets she likes them!! Maybe she doesn't like stuff cold from the refrigerator....I mean, fruit is supposed to be cold, but maybe she doesn't know it yet :)