Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Callings

In our church, we have callings. It's what we do to contribute, and there are so many different ways to add our volunteer power that it's amazing. We are always asked if we will take on certain responsibilities, never left to pick them out ourselves. I think that's great because you never know what you will end up loving in the end. I thought it might be fun to share what I have done over the years.

I am a counselor in the Primary presidency right now. I coordinate baptisms for our eight-year-olds, give lessons to our three to twelve-year-olds in a large group, and attend and assist with kid-friendly activities on Saturdays. I also plan, write and coordinate the program our kids put on every year for the congregation. It's probably my favorite of anything I've ever done.

I was once on the activities committee. I helped plan and carry out parties for the families in our congregation. They asked me because I was touted as being creative, but I have to admit I did more good bringing my organization skills to the table than my brainstorming power.

I taught the fourteen and fifteen year old girls. I have to say that was the most challenging calling I've ever had.

I taught Gospel Doctrine, otherwise known as adult Sunday School. I was scared to death of that one, but turned out to love it.

I was also a secretary for Primary. I kept attendance, took notes, and made talk assignments. I used to think I'd make a great secretary. I now know I'm pretty terrible at keeping track of details and making sure stuff gets done on paper.

I was a counselor for Relief Society, the woman's organization in our church. I taught lessons, visited ladies, coordinated music and singing, and attended what seemed like a lot of meetings. Unlike some people, I don't actually mind meetings too much, especially if they double as playdates for my kids.

Michael and I taught the eleven year olds for many years. I enjoyed that, too. We used to work "talk time" into the lesson, and have class parties. The kids thought we were awesome. They still track us down ten years later and tell us how much they enjoyed us teaching them.

6 comments:

Kristie said...

I enjoyed reading about all of your callings!! I love all the opportunites that we have to serve and grow in our church.

Amanda said...

I thought for sure it was gonna end with.....and my new calling is???!!!

Heather Whitley said...

That's funny Amanda. No, still the same calling. It just occurred to me that this would be an interesting list to share.

Debi said...

I loved hearing about all of your callings. I am trying to remember when you were in Young Women. Must have been around the transplant time when my mind turned to mush. Was it?

Heather Whitley said...

I was the Mia Maid adviser during Hailey's pregnancy, which I seem to remember was the transplant time frame...summer 2003, right?

Heather Whitley said...

I was the Mia Maid adviser during Hailey's pregnancy, which I seem to remember was the transplant time frame...summer 2003, right?