Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Emberly 9 month

Her measurements are 28.25 inches, 19lb 11.5oz and 17.75 head, which works out to 75%, 72%, and 75%.
No shots, only a finger prick for a hemoglobin test. She scored just over a 10, and apparantly anything under 11 means low iron. So we bought Ferinsol from Walgreens (a tiny dropper bottle with a cute picture of Beatrice Potter's Peter Rabbit on it). We are supposed to give her a drop three times a day for six weeks.
Guess how her first drop went? She pulled a face, then cried, then gagged dramatically. If I'm not able to successfully hide it in her food, then the next six weeks will be tons of fun.
I doubt the illustration of Peter Rabbit makes it more palatable to Emberly, but I enjoyed looking at it.

5 comments:

sambrael said...

You mean you can't just feed her steak three times a week? :) I was always a bit anemic, as I learned when I tried to give blood. Maybe if Mom had paid more attention when I was a kid...

Debi said...

Okay, now this is something I KNOW about (giving medicine to babies!). You can hide the iron in grape jelly (or any kind of jelly I suppose, although grape masks things well). All you need to do is take a syringe and a teaspoon or so of the jelly (5 cc)....pull the jelly up into the syringe and squirt it out a time or two, then mix the drop of iron with it and suck the whole thing up and squirt it in her mouth. That is how I got Aaron to take that dreadful potassium as a baby. He grew to LOVE it and would open wide for his medicine once he got the hang of it. Marachino cherry juice works well for this, too.

Kristie said...

Wow! Low iron? I don't think that they ever tested my kids for that. Or if they did, I didn't pay attention. It sound as if Emberly is growing well and getting big!!! Thanks for posting her stats!

Elizabeth Boyce said...

Heather,

We use an herbal one from the health store (I can look up the name) and it works great and the kids LOVE the way it tastes. Even Isabel will down it. If you are interested, I will get you more details.

rosebud said...

I enjoy reading your blog, Heather. You can really turn a phrase.