Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Playroom overhaul

We visited Steve and Amanda's new home last week, and I was so impressed with the playroom in their new house that it inspired me to clean and purge ours. Michael and I had talked about needing to do it for some time, but it seemed like such a major undertaking that I had a hard time getting excited about it. As it was, it took two whole days.



First, we took all the toys from all over the house and put them in the playroom, and let it spill out into the front hall when we ran out of room.




Then, I separated books from toys. Then I pulled out my favorite toys and books, and from what was left, I let the girls each pick a small number of their favorite toys and books. The toys that left the playroom filled seven garbage bags. And there was a really big box of books.



But was is left is in such order that the girls have discovered toys they forgot they owned, and actually have room to play with them. The books are not falling off the bookshelf, and can be neatly stacked there with room for boxes of smaller toys.



And the number of toys is so manageable that the girls can clean up the playroom by themselves and it looks just as nice when they clean it as when I do.

The best part is their toys all fit inside the three toyboxes by the window. This used to be a general dumping ground that got so full, it wound mound up against the window and run into the miniblinds, as well as just spill out the front, so it didn't really look clean even when they put everything away. Now, there is plenty of room to put everything inside of the toyboxes. It is so wonderful when everything is contained.

6 comments:

Debi said...

I thought the playroom looked extra nice when I was there babysitting the other night. I didn't know you had just done a major overhaul! I guess cleaning things out is the next best thing to buying a house with a basement!

Debi said...

PS--I was so excited that you blogged again! :)

Kristie said...

Wow!! What an undertaking. It looks great!!! I love it when we downsize our toys and get things in order. I hope you had a great birthday yesterday!!!

Amanda said...

I am so glad you posted pictures:) Looks AWESOME!!!!! I can't imagine 7 bags full of toys from that???!!!!!!

Betty Martinsen said...

What an inspiration! I'll have to document one of my projects one of these days!

Shelly's Space said...

Great job Heather!! It must feel really good to get a big project like that done....and it looks so nice!!