Here is a picture of Emberly with my midwife, Susan Akins. I believe Susan said marie was her middle name, too, so that adds even more significance to Emberly's middle name. Susan said that she was talking about Emberly to another patient just the other day when someone asked how big was too big in terms of baby size. She used Emberly as an example of how you just never know what size you are capable of birthing.
I am healthy and right back on track. I lost all my pregnancy weight after just a few weeks and have been holding steady at 150 ever since. I guess my body likes that weight, although I know there is still a lot of flab I could stand to lose around my mid-section. I'm not too worried about it, though. I don't have time to get out and jog the neighborhood these days. And there are a few sets of clothes I fit into just right.
Did I mention I love my midwife? She has decades of experience and a personality that really puts me at ease. After all that pregnancy care provider fiasco, I am so happy with who finally ended up with us in the delivery room. I feel like I can ask her anything without making her defensive or suspicious, and I trust her implicitly to expertly handle any crisis the way I would want her to. You really need that kind of trust in order to relax and properly work with your laboring body, so I am so glad events turned out as they did.
Emberly is sleeping well. She often has a very fussy period in the late evening until she falls asleep about 10:30 or 11pm. Then she sleeps pretty well, only waking up to eat, until about 8 or 9 am. The longest she has slept straight is 6 hours, which was a few nights ago. But since she doesn't wake up in such a dramatic or extended way in the night, it isn't that bad. I have her moses basket by the side of the bed and just lean over and stick a bottle in her mouth for a few minutes when I start to hear her stir. I don't even have to wake up all the way except for once a night when I get up to pump.
She is also eating better. At the beginning, she would only latch on for a few seconds and then cry and pull away when my let down started to choke her. And then she was so worked up, she wouldn't latch on again. I learned from la leche league that this led to Emberly drinking more formilk and not so much hindmilk, which in turn lead her to be fussy and have a lot of gas and green stool. To fix this, I pump the first minute or so of letdown (until it stops spraying spontaneously), and then I let Emberly latch on. She still pulls away several times at each feeding, but she is willing to go back, and it doesn't spray all over her when she pulls away. It is a complicated process that involves a impatient baby, a bouncy seat, a boppy, a bath towel and a complete lack of modesty on my part, but she is nursing for 3 or 4 minutes at a time now instead of 30 seconds (and her digestive system is much happier too).
I end up throwing away about six ounces of foremilk a day, which doesn't seem like too much in the over production department. Hopefully when Emberly has her next growth spurt, I will also have a reduction in my letdown. Perhaps that extra production will just mean I won't have to nurse as often to get my milk supply up for the next level of demand for a bigger baby. It might also mean that the nursing process will be simple enough that I can discreetly do it in public. For now, it is an at-home only event. These days, I either pump and bottle feed on the road or just make very short trips.

5 comments:
Sounds like everything is going along swimmingly. We're waiting for the new picture! I'm glad everything worked out so well with the midwife! You are a trooper to work with the nursing so well. Hey, the girl came to show me the knives today. She was very sweet. I didn't buy any knives from her but she took it in stride. She did a great job of selling.
Okay, I just went to Michael's blog and saw all the new pictures. They are so good!! Is the picture of the woman with blonde hair that's holding Emberly the midwife?
Thanks for the update!! Emberly is SO cute!! It was fun to finally get to meet her and hold her (even if it wasn't for as long as I would have liked, due to my own jealous toddler!!) She is such a good baby!!! I can't wait to see the picture, but I guess in the meantime I can check out some pictures on Michael's blog!!
Thanks for the update:) You are a trooper to keep on nursing:) I think most people run into some sort of trouble spot when trying to nurse...at some point. I am glad you loved your mid-wife......I just wish she wasn't so far from me...I think the distance might keep me from using her:(
Heather: I have that same problem too and only nurse on one side per feeding and Ben is a much happier baby once I figured that out a couple months ago. I still can't believe you gave birth to that big of a baby and I thought Ben was big, lol.
Post a Comment