Friday, September 25, 2009

Cuddle the spatula

Ansley, Hailey, and Emberly have just finished emptying the dishwasher.

"Mommy?" Hailey asks. "Can I take this to my room?"

I glance her way and see her petting a spatula.

"The spatula?" I say.

"Yeah, I really like it." Hailey hugs it close to her body.

"Uh, no. Spatulas stay in the kitchen," I tell her.

"But I really want it." Hailey sounds like she's about to start crying.

"I don't want it lost in your room," I say. "That's my favorite spatula."

"But I like to cook," Hailey croaks, clinging to it like a teddy bear.

"There's no way to cook in your room," I say. "You can hold it in the dining room if you want. Stove and oven are off limits," I remind her, just in case.

Hailey squeezes the spatula tightly and calms down a little. "Okay," she says. Ten minutes later, she's forgotten the spatula and moved on to watching Ansley playing the Wii.

I'm left secretly wondering if Spongebob has something to do with this. His relationship with his spatula goes pretty deep, after all.

Ah well, one more chance to realize cartoons are different from real life. A spatula is not really as cool as an underwater fry cook makes it out to be.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

That is such a funny and cute story! :) Kids are so cute.

Debi said...

I can just picture Hailey doing that. :)

sambrael said...

Diana wanted spatulas for her birthday, but I'm pretty sure they were for culinary reasons, not emotional security.

Melissa said...

That is too funny! :) How cute...I miss my sweeties!

Ansley Whitley said...

I love your blog Mommy! This might be a bit weird, with me posting comments now and all, but I have so much to say about the stories! And BTW, Hailey did tell me at that time that that was her "Spongebob" spatula.