Friday, August 21, 2009

Cooookie Crisp

Last week, as part of our romantic evening alone, Michael and I bought groceries. He added Cookie Crisp cereal to the cart. I eyed it with suspicion.

"Every once in a while, I like to get the girls little surprises that make their day," he explained.

"That certainly would do it," I replied and smiled at him. Cookie Crisp went in the pantry and sat unnoticed for some time.

This morning, Hailey tenatively approaches me and says,"Mommy, why is there Cookie Crisp in the Pantry?" The cereal has been discovered.

"It's for you to eat," I tell her. "Daddy bought it as a special treat for you."

Hailey races away from me and straight to Ansley. "We get to eat it!" She spouts with intensity, suggesting that they discussed the meaning of that cereal for some time before approaching me.

Moments later, Ansley works at opening the box. Hailey stands nearby, watching every move. Emberly picks up on the excitement of the moment and starts dancing.

"Cookies," she chants. Step, step, twirl. "Cookies."

"Cookie cereal," Ansley corrects her.

Ansley pours three bowls. She eats her own cereal sans milk with her fingers. Emberly tries one and ignores the rest. Hailey uses a spoon to eat her cereal, also dry.

"Mommy," Ansley says like a scientist observing an experiment, "these cookies are really small."

"Yeah," I reply. "I think they do that because it's a cereal and normal sized cookies would make it hard to eat with a spoon."

She looks at another cookie for a moment before eating it. "And they don't taste exactly like cookies, either." Such an observant child.

"That's probably the vitamins they have to add to it so it will be healthy. You know, a healthy part of this complete breakfast." I pause for a moment, considering the words that have just come out of my mouth. "Well, as healthy as a cookie cereal can be, anyway. Hey, do you want some strawberries or bananas with that?"

7 comments:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Alright, so I am forced to get a hold of you via blog comments...seriously, answer your phone already. Or get a machine. Or get a room. Oops-wrong context.

So we need to have your familia (that's just a clue....we very well may have tacos which would make the Spanish appropriate) over. Since today was our "free" day (meaning that Roger's not gone), it'll have to be next week. Does Sunday work? (not like the "no working on the Sabbath" work but work as in....work)

Debi said...

Very cute post! I can just see the girls going round about that box of Cookie Crisp. :)

Amanda said...

hummm....That's a regular thing in our house...I know....I buy too many treats! But that is a very cute story:)

Amanda said...

Where are the first day of school pic's???

sambrael said...

Our kid is going to be soooo spoiled! James routinely buys Cap'n Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Marshmallow Mateys (off brand Lucky Charms) for our pantry. I eat them on my days off only (that sugar doesn't keep you running from 6-1:30 on a busy hospital floor!)

Analee Winkel said...

Hey! This is your fave Beehive, Analee! That is SO FUNNY! Healthy COOKIES? Who knew? Do your girls still eat Cookie Crisp? Does Bro Whitley know that thay probablly don't like it? Does HE eat it? So many question. So little time on computer! Ha! Ha! Ha! I am FUNNY! Well, see you Thursday!

jennifer said...

This was a very funny post. I had to read it out load to Mark. We went through similar things with our kids. Their special treat was being allowed to pick out a box of any cereal they wanted for the week of their birthday.