Thursday, February 19, 2009

Eleven things to know about me

1. I love monkeys. Not like as a pet, or watching on Animal Planet, but the cute icon versions of monkeys you see on merchandise. Especially on little kids clothing. Oh, it is to die for.

2. I love to fold laundry and hate to clean bathrooms. In fact, I love all things that allow me to develop a complex system to maximize efficiency, even if it means I waste twice as much time and energy developing the system. I like to think I fold with pizazz and an ingeniously efficient pile management method. There is no way to add pizazz to plain old elbow grease style scrubbing. That's why I would rather sort a drawer than mop a floor any day. By the way, is there a person out there who actually likes to clean bathrooms?

3. I have a thing for strollers. It's not that I have too many strollers (although Michael may tell you otherwise), it's that I haven't discovered a single stroller that does everything I want, all in one device.

4. I have a thing for boxes. I love pretty containers, clear containers, ugly but light shoe box containers, and super big and sturdy containers. Some people think it is duct tape that holds the universe together, but it's really containers. Without them, the bits and pieces of life would drive us all crazy.

5. Fiction is highly addictive. I can read non-fiction books at my leisure. Fiction books, on the other hand, are a either too stupid to be worth my while, or dangerously good. I tend to fail at all other obligations in my life until the book is finished. I hope that the temperance that comes with age will allow me to actually read a good book for only thirty minutes a day and then stop.

6. I graduated from college at 19. And now I regret it. I was so focused on making that number that I gave up two years of scholarship and a potentially awesome science fiction class taught by the Dean.

7. Under my childhood ownership, 32 gerbils and three dogs died. While my brother actually raised and then later hunted down and killed runaway chickens with his slingshot. But that's another story.

8. I started wearing heels four years ago. Before that I had not come to grips with my height enough to add to it. I still don't wear anything more than 3 inch heels, but I'm not sure if that insecurity or imbalance.

9. I dislike people who are easily offended. Actually, admitting that means that their easily-offended-ness is offensive to me, and I would be therefore easily offended. So I take it back. People who are easily offended are just fine.

10. Powerful people scare me. But they also impress me. I want to be like that too. It frustrates me every time I am intimidated by the same skills I want to own for myself.

11. I am a writer. Sometimes I don't want to own it, for it to define me, because I don't want to be boxed in by it's definition, or because I feel guilty for the lack of effort and sacrifice I give it. But it's there, it's part of me, and it's time I made something with it.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Enjoyed this:) I agree with the container thing:) And I hate scrubbing bathrooms but I love the products I use and have such an easy system now...and I can't stand a dirty bathroom!

sambrael said...

I LIKE cleaning bathrooms! Well, more accurately, I like CLEAN bathrooms and it appears I'm the only one in the house willing to do it. :) And I'm not really a fan of folding laundry. In fact, wrinkled clothes is often the preferred alternative (except for scrubs - I'd rather put forth the effort to instill confidence in my patients). Last favorite: dishes. Least often done: vacuuming. And let me tell you, with a long-haired cat, daily isn't often enough (much less bi-weekly or whenever I get around to it).

As for intimidation, just do what Grandpa George always said, "I'f you're ever intimidated by someone, just imagine them on the pot taking a --" well, you know. :)

sambrael said...

Hey, you should move to Oregon. I'll clean your bathrooms and you can fold my laundry!

Debi said...

I enjoyed reading all about you! :) Okay....on #5, I think you would have to go to something like AA to cure it. I think it's impossible to cure that kind of addiction. I think it's either cold turkey or live with it. :) On the housework issue....I love folding clothes but I hate putting them away, so I guess that means I like clean stuff, but hate the organizational part of it. And cleaning bathrooms.....that's why people have kids. Just buy them a bunch of cleaning products and rubber gloves and you will have clean bathrooms for years without all the work. :)

Kristie said...

Very fun to learn more about you Heather!! I enjoyed reading this. I HATE bathrooms, but I think that it has something to do with all the boys at my house with a bad aim!! :) I am kind of the same way with reading...but most often, I just don't read very much because nothing will get done at my house and that just isn't a good thing with 4 kids!!!! Ha, ha!!