Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bit of writing

I stood in the setting sun, one cheek warm and one cheek cool. One eye blinded by the light and one open to all the shadows that fell around me as I stared at Eli standing across from me. Both of us were together on a platform of stairs. At the base of the stairs were thousands of people.

It felt like a coronation. I didn’t feel like royalty, but I was here. I was determined to make this work. I focused on my purpose and let other thoughts fall away.

I looked at Eli as he placed the hard and calloused heel of his hand along the sunshine side of my jaw, then his fingertips in the hollow under my ear and against my temple. His skin felt cool against mine. His other hand went to the shadowed side of my face, and radiated warmth.

I was so focused on my own attempt to be my best for the moment that I almost missed it. The ever so slight increase of pressure from his fingertips, in sync with an almost imperceptible strain of his brow. The grand reader showed no such strain. The grand reader’s face was almost of a man sleeping as he pulled the visions of my destiny out of me.

“The Gods have favored us once again in our time of need,” His voice rang loud and clear.

This was the moment everything would right itself. I closed my eyes to see the visions Eli would draw out, that would fill my mind a moment before he spoke them aloud. That would allay all my fears, that would banish my nightmares. They would make the world right again and settle my future into what it should be.

2 comments:

Debi said...

That was good....are you writing a book? :)

Heather Whitley said...

I was writing a book until I ran into the same wall I always run into...the plot disintegrates before it goes anywhere. My biggest challenge is putting an ending on something longer than 20 pages.
My other big problem is I run out of steam. Kudos to my beehive Sierra for exposing her passion for writing and getting me up and going again.