Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Strollers

Michael says I have a stroller fetish. It's probably true. I tend to obsess about certain things and completely neglect others. But I figure if I really am obsessed about strollers, the world might as well benefit from my over-focus.

There are certain things every stroller should have.

The first is a cup holder tray. You might think that is silly if you've never had a stroller before, but they are invaluable. My local resale shop refuses to buy strollers without them. It is the place you put stuff you need to set down for a second, and when you are pushing around a baby, you have stuff like that all the time. Your cell phone and car keys end up here if you have no pockets.

The second is a light weight. I'd say nothing over 13 pounds. It's bad enough that you have to tote your 18 pound baby in a 10 pound car seat everywhere, why burden yourself with an 18 pound stroller, too? Light weight strollers are easier to get in and out of the car and most likely easier to push. Light weight is usually accomplished with an aluminum frame.

The third is small size. I say this because most often you are pushing that stroller through a narrow isle in a store or on a crowded sidewalk at an outdoor event, or in between cars in a parking lot. Width matters, even if it is a matter of inches.

The fourth is a big basket underneath. This is essential for me, because I am dying to get weight off my shoulders by putting the baby in the stroller, so why would I continue to hold the diaper bag? And because most diaper bags are big, you want a basket that is big. I'd test it at the store with your diaper bag to be sure.

I am a believer in the stroller frame. That is the stroller that only holds a car seat carrier. They are inexpensive and serve their purpose of the first little while. You don't have to be concerned about fabric pattern or cushi-ness or even how far back the seat tilts. If you want to go for a walk with your baby around the neighborhood, just strap them into their car seat and stick it in the stroller frame.

I am a believer in getting a nice quality lightweight stroller after they outgrow their carrier car seat. No 5.99 umbrella strollers from Wal-mart, or the ones you get free from babies r us with a $50 purchase. Get one with a cup holder tray for you and baby, with good padding and easy-snap buckles. With higher handles if you happen to be over 5'3", your back will thank you. With a big basket for holding your diaper bag, and once again, your back will thank you. And get one under 13 pounds. Your back will once again be grateful.

I believe jogger strollers are good for active people. They should have aluminum frames and an optional pivoting front wheel (anybody whose owned a jogging stroller knows what I am talking about on the front wheel).

I am not fond of travel systems. The plastic on the frame fades and cracks. Their size is usually over the top, and their weight is, too. Their cloth patterns often show dirt. Their wheels are usually cheap and hard to push. Most people I know who own them never use them past the carrier car seat part of their babies' lives, making them useful for a very short period of time. I can usually spot a first time parent because they have a travel system. Seasoned parents find a variety of other routes to get the job done.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

LOVE IT!! Great review on strollers Heather:) You should review baby products for a magazine:) I must admit I am the 1% that has used her Travel system stroller for 4 years (although I rarely use it anymore). The pattern does show dirt. But I have never found mine to be too wide or huge. I Agree cup holders are a must for Mom and Kid and the basket is a must also. LOVED the review ....Keep the blogging up!

molly said...

what is the name of the local resale shop. I am about to buy a double side by side stroller and want to sell my graco duo glider. you can email me at mnmelmer@gmail.com

Debi said...

This was a very thorough and well thought out review on the latest and greatest in strollers! Kristie has a very cute pink stroller that matches her very cute pink car seat (she is very excited and proud of this new very girlie set) and I thought it was great how the carseat just hooked straight in there... I had several strollers with my different kids (we didn't have cup holders or other cool things back in those days when dinosaurs roamed the earth!). Didn't really matter though because none of my children ever actually SAT in a stroller....they just started out in them and wound up in our arms!!