I hope The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is true. It is such a lovely view of the purpose of our lives here on earth. It gives a glorious future for us to look forward to after death. It motivates us to act and think in ways that help us form a stronger social network to support each other. Following its teachings leads us down paths that increase happiness in our lives, guides us to invest in aspects of life that will pay off the most, and protects us from much of the pain and sorrow in the low parts of life that inevitably happen to everyone. If we follow Christ's example and choose to trust in Him, we will achieve a higher level of maturity and development than we could have ever achieved just believing in our own abilities. These things I know, at least to some degree, by personal experience. I know them, because their proof is scientific, sensory based, involving things that can be counted and measured.
Is it ALL true? God, miracles, the afterlife, etc? Do those spiritual things really and truly exist? Now that, I don't know. Such things are outside the physical realm, so can only be believed, not proven or disproven with facts. What I do know is that it WORKS. Aspiring to be what this church asks me to be has made me a happier person. I feel more joy and peace because I trust, obey, and hope. I have grown more by following the basic principles of faith and repentance than I could have ever done without them. I don't know the Church is True with a capital T, but I hope, and with that hope, I push forward every day, doing my best, and putting my shoulder to the wheels the gospel asks me to push.

Alma said faith is to hope for things which are not seen but which are true. And how do you know it's true as a seed? You don't. You can't. Even Alma admits it. He says IF it is a good seed, it will grow in a good-feeling kind of way. If it isn't, it won't. The Gospel can look just like any other seed, good or evil, before you plant it. That's why the planting and watering is so important. You have to give it a shot, nurture the idea with some effort in your life, and see what sprouts up. So far, my choice to hope and work towards the principles of the Gospel has been delicious to me. I'm going to pour more of my hope and work into that deliciousness. Faith without works is dead, you know. Hope needs work to turn into faith.
So I hope The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and I work towards that hope as if it were true. It's my faith that carries me forward, not my knowledge. Atheists, no matter how sound their arguments and logic, cannot touch my hope and determined choice to invest in it, and most especially the delicious result. For those things outside the knowable realm, they can choose to see a godless existence, but I choose to Hope for something better. I am so very grateful to have the Gospel in my life to give me hope and direction. I feel sorry for those who don't know the joy of hoping for such things, for those who don't even know what faith really is and what it could do for them.

1 comments:
The gospel is everything to me, too. I have always said that even if it weren't true (but it is)that my life is happier in every way for having embraced the gospel. I do know it is true, though, because the Holy Ghost has testified of it's truthfulness to me personally. I know it is true even more fully than I know that black is black or white is white when I have seen it with my own eyes. The witness of the Holy Ghost is the strongest confirmation on earth and I am glad I have had the privilege of feeling the confirmation of the Spirit.
Post a Comment